Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How do you move a mountain of dirt and rubble?

If I was in the US, I would expect to see an earth mover of some sort. Maybe a front loader, back hoe, a ditch witch maybe. But not in Nigeria. Here it takes 5 earth movers with shovels and buckets!


I watched them stand around for a while, I think the guy in the white hat was just supervising. The guy on the far left was shoveling straight into the truck, but only about half the dirt was actually making it into the truck. And then the guy on the right with the shovel would fill the pans with dirt and the guy in the blue hard hat would lift them to the guy on the blocks who would hand them up to the guy in the back of the truck. It takes so many people to do anything here.

FYI... I was standing in my tub taking this picture out the bathroom window. I'm sure I looked pretty funny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment